Ayurvedic Diet Plan is a rallying cry for anyone who hasn’t been able to lose weight permanently and discover true health. Why a diet plan from an Ayurveda point of view?
Because I’m a firm believer that all roads to perfect health – and an ideal weight – begin with your mind – set, and your diet is the most important factor in creating that mentality.
Food is information, after all; it gives your body the fuel it needs to survive (and, ideally, thrive) and helps generate the connection between what you think and do, and how you feel. What you eat directly impacts how you experience life and nourish your body’s needs all the way down to your waistline. And this is the essence of this Ayurvedic Diet Plan.
By trying 30-day protocol described in this article, you will experience this for yourself.
Components of Ayurvedic Diet Plan
In Ayurveda, a healthy digestive system is seen as the cornerstone of well-being; As such, illness and disorder are thought to result from impaired digestion. In fact, we can also subvert the science of Ayurveda for the simple idea that total health remains in a state of our digestive powers, and that one must focus on our digestive system to restore health.
Your body’s metabolism is the process of converting nutrients from food into energy to sustain life, which is certainly a complex combination of your digestive, biological and chemical interactions.
The components for a strong digestion and fast metabolism include four main components.
First Component of Ayurveda Diet
- Drinking certain hot liquids and eating specific foods that feed and fuel your metabolism rather than slow it down, ultimately supporting digestive balance and efficiency.
- We know that, scientifically, not all calories are created equal.
- When you consume calories by the type of foods in the Ayurvedic diet plan, you can lose weight fast.
- What’s more, when you drink hot tea and water throughout the day, you can stop your metabolism constantly.
Second Component of Ayurveda Diet
- Fasting between meals (no snacking) is necessary for the feeling of hunger, weight loss and overall health.
- New science suggests that intermittent fasting can help you live longer, and healthier lives.
Third Component of Ayurveda Diet
- Making lunch the most important meal of the day (ie, when the sun is burning fastest).
- Studies now prove that eating more calories in the afternoon can lead to more weight loss, and that late lunch and large meals can be detrimental to weight loss efforts and general health – even if one day total calories are equal.
Fourth Component of Ayurveda Diet
- Cleansing “Digestive Sludge” – The residue from poorly digested food that resists weight loss, provokes hormonal imbalances, and ultimately inflames inflammation, the root cause of almost all disease.
- This sludge also contains toxins that cannot be effectively cleaned by the body due to a weak metabolism and weak digestive organs such as the pancreas and liver.
- Now research suggests that these toxins, which are made by the body during normal metabolism, can increase weight and inhibit weight loss efforts.
- At the core of this four-part, three-step diet is a dish called khichdi (pronounced kitch-a-day) – a complete but incredibly easy-to-make meal that clearly helps to change digestive sludge and their metabolism.
Overall, the Ayurvedic diet plan changes your relationship with food to make healthy food – and effortlessly.
Phase: 1 – Ayurvedic Diet Plan
The purpose of Phase 1 is to help you begin to extinguish old habits and wean your body from foods and drinks that dampen your body’s metabolism. It intends to lighten the load you put on your digestive system so it can heal and rejuvenate itself.
- You’ll make incremental improvements in what you eat that build one day at a time in preparation for the Accelerate Phase.
- You’ll also be given the opportunity to jump-start your weight loss with a twenty-four-hour cleanse.
- This will accelerate your body’s “reboot” and the rehabilitation of your body’s metabolism.
Daily Cleansing Juice (6:00 am – 7:00 am)
|Castor oil||2 tablespoons|
or Grapefruit juice
- Take two tablespoons (30 mL) of castor oil and mix it with half a cup of orange juice or grapefruit juice.
- Drink it all down. Make sure the oil is fresh.
- Some people do experience the urge to vomit, because as they drink it, they gag on it. But if you mix it properly, you should only taste the citrus.
- Consume only liquids for the remainder of the day. This can include liquid (meat-free, chunk-less) soups, stews, broths, freshly squeezed juices, and protein shakes.
- Avoid solid foods and vigorous exercise. Gentle exercises like walking and light stretching are fine.
- You will probably feel wiped out that day, and you will no doubt be spending time in your oval office (i.e., bathroom).
- Plan to stay at home or be within close range of a bathroom until your body is finished cleansing.
Some people don’t respond to the oil cleanse within three to four hours, and in that case, just be patient. Sometimes it takes longer. (If nothing happens within two full days, then repeat the protocol).
But 80 percent of people will have loose bowel movements for several hours and be done by 2:00 p.m. Don’t be alarmed if you experience explosive bowel movements; this is normal.
A small percentage of people (5 percent) will have eight to ten bowel movements that day. Once the body quiets back down, you’ll be poised to commence the Ayurvedic Diet Plan the following day.
Detox Tea Blend
In this program every day from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, you will sip a tea blend that can be easily made in the morning and placed in a stainless steel thermos to last all day. Start drinking this tea during this phase so that you get used to this practice, which you want to continue even after a month of diet.
Delicious “Detox Tea” includes a blend of:
- fennel seeds,
- fresh ginger,
- lemon juice,
- green tea brew (as the base)
2. How to make the green tea blend
- Taje 1 quart of water over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 teaspoon each of whole fennel, coriander, and cumin seeds.
- Add a 1/2 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger and then bring the mixture to a boil with one tea bag of organic green tea.
- Strain it into a stainless steel thermos and squirt in the juice from 1/2 lemon.
Tip for sensitive to caffeine:
(1.) If you’re sensitive to caffeine, opt for caffeine-free green tea.
(2.) For those short on time, you can look for green teas in the market that contain lemon and ginger. Just be sure they don’t also contain other additives like sugar and chemicals.
(3.) If you want to switch to caffeine-free drinks or avoid green tea, you can choose to drink plain hot water with a squeeze of lemon and a slice of fresh ginger, or try herbal tea.
3 Days of Ayurvedic Diet Plan
Day-1 Meal Plan
(made with water)
|1 small handful|
|Flaxseed (grounded)||1 tablespoon|
How to make scrambled eggs:
- Take 2 whole eggs into a bowl and into that add 1 tablespoon of water. Now mix it together.
- Now to cook it, turn on your stove and put a pan on it. The heat of your stove should be in medium and slow. When the pan is hot, add 1 teaspoon olive oil or coconut oil.
- Once oil has melted in your pan add your that mixed eggs.
- Now wait until cooked then have it.
|Brown rice||1/2 cup|
|Steamed vegetables||1/2 cup|
|Tofu or Tempeh or Grilled Fish||80-120g|
|Whole fruit (as dessert)||1 piece|
|Lean poultry (chicken or turkey)|
or Tofu or Tempeh
|Green salad||1 cup|
Day-2 Meal Plan
|Yogurt (low-fat)||1 cup|
|Walnuts||1 small handful|
|Vinaigrette Salad dressing||1/2 cup|
|Apple or Orange||1 piece|
How to make Vinaigrette Salad dressing
|Oliver oil (extra Virgin)||3 tablespoons|
|Apple cider vinegar||1 tablespoon|
|Kosher salt||1 pinch|
|Black pepper (grounded)||1 turn|
|Basil, mint, or thyme||1-2 tablespoon|
|Garlic clove||1 finely|
|Grated ginger||2 teaspoons|
|Crushed red pepper flakes||1 pinch|
- Take a small mason jar (you can use bowl) and add all the ingredients.
- Now screw on the lid of the mason jar and shake it until it is blended.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if desired.
- Add it to salad, toss, and serve this Vinaigrette Salad dressing.
(Broccoli Lentil Soup)
|Red chill power||1 pinch|
How to make Broccoli Lentil Soup
- After cut in small pieces of all the vegetables, and soak them in water;
- Now pour olive oil in a pan and heat it for 2-3 minutes;
- Add onion and fry until golden looks brown;
- Now mix all the chopped vegetables well;
- Add salt and red chili as per taste;
- Now add lentils, water and put it on the lid to cook under pressure for 15 minutes;
- Now keep it to cool and take it out in a bowl;
- Add lemon juice and the Broccoli Lentil Soup is ready.
Day-3 Meal Plan
(Super Greens Smoothie)
|Orange juice||1 + 1/2 cup|
How to make Super Greens Smoothie
- Add all ingredients into a blender and blend it until smooth and creamy.
- Add ice cube depending on temperature preference.
- It’s work best in smoothies if you use frozen bananas instead of normal.
- You can add more spinach to increase your nutritional benefits.
(Midday Khichdi & Fruit)
|Basmati rice or Buckwheat|
(use organic rice)
|Mung beans||1/2 cup|
|Water||2 + 1/2 cup|
|Olive oil||2 teaspoons|
|Curry powder||1/2 teaspoons|
|Stems and Leaves||4|
|Cilantro (finely chopped)||–|
|Raw nuts||2 tablespoons|
|Apple or Grapes or Orange|
How to make Midday Khichdi & Fruit
- Rinse the rice and beans.
- In a medium pot, combine the water, rice, and beans and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a low boil and continue cooking for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add the olive oil, curry powder, and salt while cooking.
- Stir well in between.
- At the end, add the cilantro, vegetables, seeds, and nuts.
- Stir well and serve hot.
How to make Grilled Vegetables with sauce
|Steamed rice||1/2 cup|
|Grilled Vegetables with Miso Sauce|
(see how to below)
or Green kabocha squash
|Red onion||1 small|
|Sesame oil||2 tablespoons|
|Miso paste||1 tablespoon|
|Brown sugar||1/2 teaspoon|
|Sesame oil||1 teaspoon|
|Rice vinegar||1/2 teaspoon|
|Scallions (chopped)||1/4 cup|
|Sesame seeds toasted||1 tablespoon|
- To make the vegetables, brush the squash and onion slices with the oil.
- Spray a grill with cooking spray, and lay the squash slices on the grill.
- Close, and cook on medium-high heat for 10 minutes, or until the squash is tender; transfer to a plate.
- Place the onion on the grill; cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until crisp-tender, and transfer to a plate.
- Place the bok choy on the grill; cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until wilted and crisp-tender, and transfer to a plate.
- Meanwhile, to make the miso sauce, combine the miso paste, garlic, brown sugar, and water in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook for 2 minutes, or until the miso dissolves and begins to bloom.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the oil and vinegar.
- Fold in the scallions and sesame seeds.
- Serve the grilled vegetables drizzled with the miso sauce, or serve the miso sauce on the side.
Phase: 2 – Ayurvedic Diet Plan
Phase-2 Ayurvedic diet plan comes the main part of the diet. In phase-2 from 4-26 days you won’t have to do any math or second-guessing as to what exactly you are supposed to eat during the next 21 days.
Day (4-26) Meal Plan
|Almond milk||2/3 cup|
|Whey protein powder||1-2 scoop|
|Cardamom powder||1 pinch|
|Honey or Stevia|
How to make Superfood Smoothie
- Mix all the ingredients in a blender, and serve it.
- Tip for Variation:
- (A) For added sweetness, add 1 teaspoon of unheated raw honey or Stevia. Those who don’t want to use almond or rice milk can opt for 1/4 cup yogurt (1% fat Greek-style) or 1/4 cup kefir and 1 cup water instead.
- (B) Play with different berries, types of milk, flavors of protein, and types of seeds on a daily basis. For those who need more for breakfast, add a hard-boiled egg.
|Midday Khichdi||See Phase-1 meal|
(Suppertime Khichdi & Fruit)
|Mung beans||1/2 cup|
|Water||2 + 1/2 cup|
|Olive oil||2 teaspoons|
|Curry powder||1/2 teaspoons|
|Chopped green leaves|
(spinach, lettuce, kale, cilantro)
|Apple or Grapes or Orange|
Repeat the Midday Khichadi recipe, but replace the cleansing vegetables with your choice of 1 cup finely chopped leafy greens:
- collard greens,
- turnip greens,
Also, replace the rice or buckwheat with 1/4 cup quinoa, and skip the nuts.
Phase-3 Ayurvedic Diet Plan
Here is a four-day sample menu plan that you can use as your guideline. You can follow this exactly or create your own within the given parameters.
Each day when you get up, drink a cup of warm water with a squeeze of lemon and a slice of fresh ginger. This will stimulate your digestive process and stir your agni.
Prepare your green tea blend as part of your morning routine. You’ll want to sip this metabolism booster throughout the day, as you did during the previous phases.
Day-27 Meal Plan
|Whey protein||1 scoop|
(orange or apple)
How to make Asparagus Soup
|Asparagus (chopped)||4 cup|
|Celery (chopped)||2 cup|
|Chicken or Vegetable broth||6 cup|
|Butter or Ghee||6 tablespoon|
|Black pepper (grounded)||1/4 teaspoon|
|Nutmeg (grounded)||1/4 teaspoon|
|Rice flour||1/4 cup|
- Steam the asparagus and celery for 5 minutes in a large pot, then puree the asparagus and celery in a blender.
- Return to the pot, add the broth, butter, pepper, and nutmeg, and cook for 20 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the flour and cream to thicken.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Serve warm.
Day-28 Meal Plan
|Brown rice||1/2 cup|
How to make Coconut-Cucumber Smoothie
|unsweetened organic coconut milk||1/2 cup|
|unsweetened organic rice milk||1/2 cup|
|chopped watercress||1 + 1/2 cup|
|maple syrup||1/2 teaspoon|
- Juice the cucumber in a juicer.
- Pour the cucumber juice into a blender and add the remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the smoothie into a chilled glass and drink.
Day-29 Meal Plan
|Yogurt Parfait with|
|Wild Rice Salad with Fennel||(see below)|
|Pumpkin Soup||(see below)|
|Steamed cleansing vegetables||1 cup|
How to make Yogurt Parfait with Low-Fat Granola
|Low-fat yogurt||1 cup|
In a large glass, layer 1/2 cup of the yogurt, 1/4 cup of the granola, and 1/4 cup of the berries. Repeat the layers.
How to make Wild Rice Salad with Fennel
- 3/4 cup of dried wild rice, soaked for 1/2 hour, rinsed and drained, then cooked for half hour or until done.
- 1 whole green apple, peeled, cored, and diced.
- 1 fennel bulb, diced.
- 1-handful of roasted walnuts.
- Handful of currants soaked in cranberry juice (or freshly squeezed juice of 1 orange).
- Juice of 1 lemon.
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar.
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- 2-4 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh fennel grass.
- 1 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds.
- 1 + 1/2 cups finely chopped fresh Italian parsley.
- Combine all the ingredients and serve immediately.
How to make Pumpkin Soup
|Greek yogurt||(for garnish)|
|Sweet potato||1 large|
|Chicken or Vegetable broth||4 cup|
|Ground cinnamon||1/2 teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1/4 teaspoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1/2 teaspoon|
|Curry powder||1 + 1/2 tablespoon|
|Minced fresh ginger||2 teaspoon|
|Olive oil||2 tablespoon|
- Toss the onion with the oil, garlic, ginger, and carrots.
- Transfer to a heated large pot and sauté for 2 to 4 minutes, until the onion is caramelized.
- Add the curry powder, cayenne, cinnamon, nutmeg, and broth.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Peel and cut the sweet potato into chunks.
- Add to the broth with the pumpkin. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a food processor or blender in batches.
- Return to the pot, simmer, and add water to create a thinner consistency, if desired. Season to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with plain Greek yogurt.
Day-30 Meal Plan
|Hot Quinoa Cereal with Warm Spiced Milk||(see below)|
|Spring Carrot Soup||(ssee below)|
|Kale and Mandarin Salad||(see below)|
How to make Hot Quinoa Cereal with Warm Spiced Milk
|Organic soy milk||1 cup|
|Filtered water||1 cup|
|Ground ginger||1/4 teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 pinch|
- Bring the water and quinoa to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat.
- Lower the heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until the quinoa is tender and the mixture thickens, about 20 minutes.
- Add more water if necessary.
- When the quinoa is nearly done, combine the soy milk, ginger, and cinnamon in a separate saucepan.
- Warm the mixture over low heat.
- Divide the quinoa into two servings.
- Pour the warm spiced soy milk over each serving and drizzle with honey.
How to make Spring Carrot Soup
|Vegetable broth or Water||3 cup|
|Virgin olive oil or Clarified butter||1 tablespoon|
|Fine-grain sea salt||–|
- On medium heat, heat the oil in a large pot.
- Add the garlic and onion and sauté for a few minutes, or until the onion starts to get translucent.
- Add the broth and carrots. Lower the heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, until the carrots are tender—longer if your carrot pieces ended up larger (but try not to overcook).
- Let cool for a few minutes, after removing the heat.
- Puree with an immersion blender, then stir in the lemon juice.
- Season with salt and serve it.
How to make Kale and Mandarin Salad
|Bunch of kale|
(chopped into bite-size pieces)
|Cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced||1/2|
|Tomato, diced||1 medium|
|Toasted sunflower seeds||1 tablespoon|
|Coconut flakes||2 tablespoon|
|Olive oil||2 tablespoon|
Combine all the ingredients, toss, and serve.
Top 13 lean protein for Ayurvedic Diet Plan
- Egg Whites
- Low-Fat Milk
- Powdered Peanut Butter
- Lite Tofu
- Low-Fat Cottage Cheese
- Plain Greek Yogurt
- Beans, Peas and Lentils
- White-Fleshed Fish
- Skinless, White-Meat Poultry
- Lean Beef
- Pork Loin
- Frozen Shrimp
If you currently take any prescription medicine, talk to your doctor and share your plans before starting this plan or any supplement program. Although the content of this article does not conflict with any medications, it is always a good idea to check with your doctor and take care of any personal health challenges you may have with your regular prescription. For supplementation, there are many manufacturers of supplements today, the two formulas created for the same effect may have a different combination of ingredients as well as different doses. To get the right dietary supplements for your body, start with your doctor and also consider consulting a local naturopath.
Ayurvedic Diet Plan FAQs
- What if I get hungry in between meals?
Remember, one of the most important strategies for the Ayurvedic Diet Plan is to avoid snacking so that your body can experience the rewards of mild intermittent fasting. So first try to take a few sips of hot water, and get up and move around (go outside for some fresh air). And if you still can't get rid of your hunger, there is a piece of whole, low-sugar fruit.
- I've gotten headaches while on the diet. What can I do to minimize them? Why are they stronger than normal?
This is a common response to the diet, especially if you're someone who was eating poorly (i.e., lots of processed foods) before. Because the diet has a detoxifying effect on the body, you feel this effect with a headache. It's actually a good sign that the diet is working. Part of the pain can be from withdrawing from caffeine, too. Don't panic: The headaches will not continue. By the second half of the Accelerate Phase, not only will your headaches wane, but you'll be much less likely to experience them in the future than before you even started the diet. So stay strong and help alleviate those headaches by hydrating as much as possible. Be sure to keep drinking warm water or herbal teas throughout the day. If you were used to drinking coffee prior to commencing the diet, then be sure to at least prepare green tea for your morning fix, as this contains some caffeine to avert that withdrawal.
- If I take castor oil and nothing happens, what do I do? How long do I wait to repeat?
Some people do not respond to the oil cleanse within 3-4 hours, as previously mentioned. Be patient if nothing happens on first day. If, on the other hand, you are still waiting on the afternoon of the second day to visit the bathroom for a strong bowel movement, repeat the protocol. Most people will respond quickly instead of that first dose. Just avoid doubling the dose within 24 hours, as you may find yourself uncomfortable.
- Is this diet safe for anyone regardless of age?
Indeed, this protocol has been used for millennia safely among millions. I've seen numerous benefits among people in my practice regardless of age. The end game isn't just about losing weight. Many things will vanish, from daily nuisances like headaches and skin conditions to serious challenges like insulin resistance and risk for life-threatening illnesses. Even if you have a chronic condition today, this diet can work for you.
- I’m pregnant/breast-feeding. Can I do the program?
You are the one exception. It's best for you to wait until you're not pregnant and are done breast-feeding before embarking on this diet. Nutritional needs during this time in a woman's life are very different and unique. Even though the Ayurvedic Diet Plan is a nutritionally balanced, complete program, it's not a good idea to aim to lose weight under these circumstances without a doctor's approval and monitoring. So speak with the physician who is caring for you while pregnant first.
- I’ve always been an active workout person. Can I keep up my routine when I start Ayurvedic Diet Plan?
Even if you're an avid exerciser (and for that you get an extra star), I advise that you avoid excessively strenuous workouts during the Accelerate Phase, while your body is readjusting to a new metabolic rhythm. You can then return to your favorite exercise during the Transform Phase. Note that people who exercise tend to need more calories than sedentary people, since they are burning more energy and typically have faster metabolisms as a result. So as you ease back into your regular exercise routine, especially if it's rigorous, be mindful of your body's caloric needs. Add more by choosing more vegetables and high-quality lean proteins. Avoid the cheap, nutrient-poor calories in sugary, processed foods, and energy bars and drinks.
Was this article helpful?
Written by Amit Kumar. He is a certified Yoga Instructor; Diploma in sports & exercise and nutrition; Diploma in fitness and weight loss; Diploma in Nutrition; Diploma in Nutrition, Food, Science and Menu Planning.